Saturday 2 January 2010

Poetography 2010


This is my intention for Poetography 2010 - to use this space to reflect on changes over the year. Even though I have been wanting to leave my rented house for years now, I have decided that I will work again on the small backyard which I neglected all through 2009, because I was travelling and also because the weather was almost constantly wet and dismal. Every Saturday, I will take photographs of work-in-progress amongst the plant pots and reflect in writing on changes there and also in my life.
I've taken the Handkerchief Tree as the title of this blog - there is one of these beautiful unusual trees growing at Trebah Gardens - known as 'the garden of dreams'. It is full of unusual plants brought to this sheltered valley by Victorian collectors. It's a three hour walk from here around the coast and part of my project will be to go regularly, on foot as often as possible, and look at this tree. I'm also going to try to grow a handkerchief tree - although as it's a native from China, I don't know if it will germinate.
Finally, Saturday will be 'beauty day' - I'll attempt an artist's date - which may be going to Trebah or perhaps the local gallery to look at a picture or something else entirely. My intention is to post every Saturday ....